Pulp Alley First Impressions...

| Thursday, 31 July 2014 | |
The other day I received a parcel containing Pulp Alley, it's two expansions, the card set and the first four figures in the Pulp Alley range.


I received the parcel from Statuesque Miniatures in the UK and the three books were all sent in comic book bags with a card support.
I haven't had a chance to read the books yet, but my first impression is that they look very nicely produced, well laid out and graphically very interesting. However, considering the three books are all only comic book sized (260mm x 170mm, 10 1/4" x 6 3/4"), with a similar page count, I do think that the they are priced very much on the high side. The three books and the card deck all cost £47.

Once I get a chance to read the rules and play a couple of games I may be a bit happier with the price as I hear it is a fun system, and I am looking forward to playing it. I feel the price point may be putting some players off though...



As for the miniatures, I got these at the introductory price (which has now finished) and I am extrememly pleased with them, they have some beautiful detail on them and they are very well cast with virtually no mould lines at all. The minis are sculpted by Andrew Rae of Statuesque Miniatures and I have been planning to add some of his figures to my collection for some time. I am very pleased with these.


3 comments:

- Peabody Says:
31 July 2014 at 08:40

All that is really needed to get the full 'Pulp Experience' from Pulp Alley is a copy of core rules. The expansions add some great stuff, but aren't necessary or even useful until you have a good few games under your belt.
The Fortune Deck is available for free as a .pdf, at Drive-Thru RPG, so that can be printed out at home or in a copy-shop. While you are there, pick up the free Pulp Alley 'Quick Start PDF' and give the game a try at no risk.
If you decide to purchase the game, the investment could be as low as $9.99 for a .pdf copy from Drive-Thru. For hard copy there are two choices; £11.50 plus postage from Statuesque or $16.99 plus postage direct from Pulp Alley in the U.S.

Stiubhart MacChoille Says:
24 September 2014 at 09:04

I've had my eye on this set of rules for a while, but have been put off by the price. I feel the same about 7TV. I hear what Peabody says about the supplements, but I can't help but feel as if I'm short-changed if I can't get the supplements as well. Guess the gaming companies can see me coming a mile.
And PDF's are great until you spend a fortune on ink...

Stephen Holmes Says:
25 November 2016 at 15:25

I've got started with:
Pulp alley rules PDF ($9.99)
Pulp Leagues Supplement ($9.99) - Pulls all the extras form supplements together in one place - very handy.
An order of many-sided dice (£8.00) - you may have these if you're an RPGer.
Around 24 of Her Majesty's pounds all told.

Naturally you'll also require figures, and like any skirmish game, what you save in figure count is made up with the demands for scenery.

I think the game is one of the finest I own.
It cuts to the heart of action, avoiding annoyances like fiddly lookup tables, or long lists of modifiers.
Play is quick and all players are involved throughout.

I especially like this last point - no more tedious wait as a slow-playing opponent measures, re-measures, calculates, re-calculates and slowly dishes out attacks against your unresponsive figures.
All the action on Pulp Alley is a 2 way street, with either side able to deal damage.

Post a Comment